Every homeowner wants to protect their home from internal damage, drafts, and leaks. But even if you’ve had brand new replacement windows installed, your job is far from done. When it comes to keeping your home standing strong, you need to be on the lookout for mold and mildew growth wherever it might strike, even in the most unlikely places. It’s not enough to just use mold prevention in the obvious places like your bathroom or kitchen. If you’re letting moisture leak into your home, you could be looking at a far more serious problem. Case in point: Moldy window sills. When your windows aren’t doing their job properly, you may notice a small amount of mold or mildew gathering up on your sill, in the cracks and crannies left unprotected by your window. As you can imagine, leaving this problem to grow and worsen simply isn’t an option if you want to protect your home. If you’re worried about mold and mildew growth on your windowsill, here are a few ways to prevent the spread of toxins of your home.
Make Sure Your Windows Aren’t Too Cold
One of the main culprits of mold in your home is temperature change. When the difference between the outside temperature and the inside temperature is too great, you could risk cutting off the necessary convection levels needed for your sill to stay dry and mold-free. Unfortunately, this happens more often than you’d think. It doesn’t seem logical to lower your home’s internal temperature to help your windows stay healthy, but if you’re noticing a bit of moisture building up on the inside of your window and on your sill, you might need to counteract this effect by cracking your window to let in a bit of air, removing heavier pieces of your window treatment, such as thick drapes or curtains, and allow the air to circulate more freely in the area. If you have a space heater readily available, you can also use it to warm up the over-cold surface of your window over time.
If you don’t want mold growth happening anywhere your home, you need to recognize that humidity is your enemy. Fighting against it, however, can prove a difficult job, especially if you’re trying to keep your home warm in the winter. The best way to do this is by using a dehumidifier in certain smaller rooms in your home, especially if they’re cut off from the larger heating system and use a space heater for temperature control. In these rooms, condensation can build up pretty quickly since space heaters can drastically heat up a contained room in a matter of minutes. If you don’t want your window to react to the difference in temperature, try keeping a dehumidifier present to help reduce the moisture levels in the air. This will help you effectively heat your home without creating a hot, muggy temperature in which mold and mildew can thrive. Keeping your home as dry as possible will help you avoid mold growth not just on your windowsill, but in your kitchen, bathroom, and any other steam-prone areas in your home. As long as you keep the area well-ventilated and dry, you won’t have to worry about any unpleasant surface growth.
Keep Things Dry After Cleaning
If you’re someone who likes to do a thorough job of cleaning each week, including windows, sills, and surrounding areas, you’re already doing a great job of making sure dust and dirt can’t interfere with the function of your new replacement windows. However, if you don’t do a good job of drying your window off after cleaning, you could be inviting mold into your home. When you leave any surface wet or damp, there’s a chance that mold could find its way in. While this is way less likely to happen with metallic or stone surfaces that are sealed and treated to protect water absorption, your home window sills are most likely made of wood, which leaves them especially vulnerable to mold growth. Luckily, you can easily prevent mildew and mold proliferation by keeping everything dry and wiped down. Even if you’re using a more powerful cleaning solution that needs to stay on your window’s surface for longer, you can still make sure you do a thorough job of drying after the treatment is done. Remember to wipe down the entire area fully with a damp cloth, followed by a thorough wipedown with a dry cloth to erase any pockets of moisture or leftover residue.