Home Decor

Can you mix interior design styles? A few simple steps to follow when trying something new this year…

As we all know, defining the flow and style of a room or home can be a fickle, lengthy process. When you are picking out styles for your décor, you may find yourself inclined to more than one. That’s okay! When done right, combining styles can look amazing and create a whole new flow.

However, you still need to tread carefully and take some precautions when designing a room that is going to feature more than one style. If you exercise some caution, a little boldness, and a lot of creativity, you can create a beautiful hybrid that allows two styles to complement one another.

Here are some general tips and tricks to keep in mind before you start the process!

Start With the Basics

The first thing that you want to do is slow down. We know that you’re excited to get started on this challenging design, but if you take it too quickly and don’t pay attention to the fundamentals of the room, your design could end up cluttered and confused.

When we say “start with the basics”, what we mean is that you should pay attention to the most basic elements of the room first and built accents out from there. This likely means starting with furniture. Establish a baseline first and you can mix and match from there.

Using this strategy is going to help ensure that your room doesn’t end up dysfunctional and that it’s not too busy.

Don’t Let Your Styles Clash

This is obviously the issue on the forefront of every designer’s mind when it comes to mixing different styles. The last thing you want to do is have your styles fighting with each other and make the room look conflicted.

You can avoid this by picking out styles that go relatively well together and by following something called the 80/20 rule. When picking out pieces that represent the styles that you want to feature, be sure to represent one of the styles with 80% of the décor, and the other style with 20% of the décor.

This way, you can ensure that your styles complement one another instead of constantly being at odds with one another.

Find Common Ground

When you are selecting décor from two different styles for your home or room, be sure to try and identify elements from each style that go well together. If you select design elements that are from opposite ends of each style, you’re going to end up with accents or furniture that looks out of place.

You can always find great ideas for décor from various designers available to help at Design Premier if you are stuck and are looking for ideas. They are there to be matched with your interior design style and move your vision forward.

Recap

In summation, you can absolutely mix interior design styles. You can have a lot of fun with this exercise and not a lot of people are daring to do it right now. That’s a shame because, with a little thought and some planning, you can create an entirely unique look that you can be proud of. Good luck and remember to follow our rules for success!

Previous ArticleNext Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sixteen − = ten